By Hero of Health Karen Stephenson
Cowboy baked beans are a classic comfort food that's perfect for a hearty and satisfying plant-based lunch. This recipe uses cannellini beans, tomato purée, and a range of flavorful spices to create a rich and delicious sauce that's both savoury and sweet. It is easy to prepare, and it's packed with fibre, protein, and nutrients. If you are looking for a healthy and filling meal, this cowboy baked beans recipe is sure to please.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1/2 onion finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp tomato purée
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
400 gr tinned cannellini beans drained (240 gr when drained)
100 gr passata
Black pepper to taste
1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat with a bit of water.
2. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
3. Add the tomato purée, paprika, thyme, brown sugar and soy sauce. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the beans and passata, and simmer for at least 5 minutes until the mixture is piping hot and the sauce has thickened a little.
5. Season generously with black pepper or to taste.
6. Soy sauce is salty therefore you probably won't need to add any salt.
Nutritional values per serving:
Calories: 150 kcal
Protein: 8 g
Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Fibre: 7 g
Sugar: 5 g
Sodium: 455 mg
Note: Nutritional values are approximate and may vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
Download your Fibre Chart below - Post it on your kitchen wall and track your fibre & water intake daily.